23 March 2006

Gen X is a state of mind not an age

At least now I've found some support for htat view which I have long held. The thingis that when I was introduced to the idea of Gen X I mentally said: "That's me", and then discovered that technically I was born a wee bit too soon to 'qualify'. The irony is that my (younger) wife who is an age-group X-er is actually attitudinally more a boomer than I am.

Apparently, Douglas Coupland, to whom the genesis of the term is attributed, when he wrote effectively defining the term 'generation X' eponymously,
was interested in a "category of people who wanted to hop off the merry-go-round of status, money and social climbing that so often frames modern existence".


But as with all categorisations (most notably personality profiles, especially the carefully crafted catchall astrological ones) the warning midway in the cited article holds true,
if you want to belong to a category, you will be sure to see yourself in it. Aren't a lot of people still left cold by status, money and social climbing?

Quite so, especially as I don't recognise myself in the little bit before characterising gen X as,
cynical, bored, worried you'll never be able to buy a house or get a decent promotion

Alright then, two out of four (in case you are wondering; the latter two are me).

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...