29 April 2006

Amateur hacker shows ID card problems

Read this on an amateur hacker who managed to break into top US and UK government IT systems:
He said it was easy, despite being only a rank amateur. Using the hacking name "Solo," he discovered that many U.S. top-security systems were using an insecure Microsoft Windows program and had no password protection at all.
"So I got commercially available off-the-shelf software and used them to scan large military networks ... anything I thought might have possible links to UFO information," he said.


And now tell me you feel that your data would be safe with the National Identity Register and that you will be more secure with identity cards. To me it looks like centralising all important data in a government service is asking for trouble.

Wired News: Terrorist or UFO Truth Seeker?:
Filed in: , , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...