21 April 2006

Lord's prayer patterned Eucharist

I have been thinking about whether it is possible and desirable to produce a Communion service which echoes the shape of the Lord's Prayer. I had come up with a tentative shape to try to do this and was wondering whether it was worth working any more on it. Then, a few weeks back I happened to be investigating older eucharistic liturgies in search of ideas about the placement of the narrative of institution and looked over Cranmer's 1549 rite, and as I looked through it realised that it had a Lord's Prayer shape. Remarkable. It means that I have a kind of [probably unintended] precedent for working on this. One that lies in the reformation origins of Anglicanism as it began to be shaped in contradistinction to Roman practice.

Follow/click on the link under the title to see how the shape works out.

I hope to work on a more contemporary version in due course. I have a prayer book with a set of complines in the Lord's prayer pattern to complete first as well as a downloadable PDA version of that to sort out. However, I may see if I can do enough to include it in the PDA version.

abbeynous.schtuff.com - Eucharist in the Lord's prayer pattern
Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...