16 April 2006

A point of fact?

An interesting article on the rise of fundamentalism. But I was puzzled by this bit implicating Christian fundamentalism in terrorist activity.
Christian fundamentalism brought violence to the United States almost a decade before 9/11. Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber who killed 168 people in 1995, was acting in revenge for the federal authorities' attack on the Waco Branch Davidian sect two years earlier.

I'm not saying that Christian fundamentalisms don't have ideologies that justify violence. Some of them do. It's that I thought McVeigh's issue was political: he hated the way that federal government in the USA was conspiring to surpress liberties and the Waco episode seemed to be the epitome and final straw for him. I wasn't aware he was a fundy ...
Anyone got any further info on this?
Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | Fight the good fight:Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...