18 April 2006

Tories' green instincts?

Cameron has made a connection between traditional Tory concerns and the environment.
The "simple instinct" to protect and enhance the world has been at the heart of Conservatism for generations, Mr Cameron insisted today. "It's an issue that I've put at the top of the political agenda over the past few months, one that I care deeply about, from climate change to cleaner streets, from cutting waste to cutting noise, pollution - environmental issues are all about improving our quality of life."

The question is whether he can make it stick, since the Tory's have been more known for the 'simple instinct' to be expressed as nimbyism and little Englander-ness than in corporate action. In fact, I rather suspect that it is Tories who are doing most of the opposing of wind power facilities and are buying most of the 4x4 off-roaders. I believe Cameron's commitment -after all he cycles to work- but I really do not think the Tory party is behind him.
Guardian Unlimited Politics | Special Reports | Cameron stresses Tories' green instincts:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...