23 May 2006

Criticisms of Da Vinci Code

Phil Johnson has produced an excellent resume of the 'factual inexactitudes' of the DVC. It is a real tour de force, and I highly recommend it. Even I learnt stuff, and that's not being arrogant, merely recognising that on things like this I'm usually just finding stuff that I think does a good presentation job, rarely finding things that are genuinely new to me.

One of the things that was new to me was this:
the "fact" page is a literary device. Dan Brown also employs this same device in his novel Angels and Demons, suggesting that its contents too disclose hitherto unknown facts about a global conspiracy devised by the Illuminati. Brown's "fact" page is not unprecedented in fiction. The same air of verisimilitude was ambiguously implied by Bram Stoker in Dracula.

Which is very helpful.
Thanks Phil.

circle of pneuma: Criticisms of Da Vinci Code:
Filed in: ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...