14 May 2006

Mother’s Day USA: better?

I was reminded by this that today is Mothers' day in the USA. Now, I don't often say this kind of thing, so look carefully and mark the day in your journal: this is one thing where I think the USA have got it better than GB. -The date of Mothers' day. I'm fed up with it being moveable because it's tied to a Sunday in Lent. Furthermore, I dislike the way that it hijacks the liturgical propers of the fourth Sunday in Lent; it's a poor theological resource and yet it is pretty much forced on us. Wait a minute, isn't it the same over there? Probably, but it seems to me that it might be better late in the Easter season than right in the middle of Lent. But then, that may just be a case of the grass being greener... At least with a date fixed in the secular calendar it varies as to which liturgical date it coincides with.

Of course the bigger problem is whether we also celebrate Fathers' day, and if we do (and what's the case for not doing so?), where do we stop letting secular themes into the Kalendar? Let's just have a parents' day and get it over with. Better still, let's just forget about it and use birthday's or name day's to personally appreciate parents and other significant people in our lives. The triumph of Hallmark over big-picture thinking, that's what it is.

But now I've got that rant out of my system, I can probably hear the voice of reason that you, dear reader, can bring to the comments.
Jesus Creed � To Kris, Happy Mother’s Day!
Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...