18 May 2006

Motorists and other polluters

I bet this was written by someone who drives a car.
Five companies in Britain produce more carbon dioxide pollution together than all the motorists on UK roads combined, a

Why do I reckon that? It's because tha comparison being made seems to be designed to let motorists feel a little better about their polluting: "At least I'm only adding a bit, not like Eon". Of course it is significant that 5 companies produce something over 21% of CO2 pollution in the UK. But then again, mostly they are power generators, so no surprise there, really. See what I mean, letting motorists off the hook and not reimpaling them on the hook of domestic power consumption. The sad fact being how much domestic use plus motoring adds up to.

Maybe I'm wrong; a sad old cynic attempting to rescale the giddy heights of the moral high ground. But actually, I know that my ecological footprint is too high, and I'm a lower user by UK standards. But I also know that I cannot reduce my footprint alone: it will take social, aggregated, actions because we are all in this together. I just don't want anyone given trivial excuses to slack on this because it is the major issue of this generation, actually.

I now fold my soapbox and dismount the moral high ground before the quagmire it actually is swallows me whole.

Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | New figures reveal scale of industry's impact on climate:Filed in: , , ,

1 comment:

Jem said...

Yep this was a nonsense, especially since these 'polluters' are those providing energy to consumers and industry to use for their own gain / desires. So to say that if Drax power station improved efficiency by 1 per cent it would save the energy consumption of 22,000 households, simply means that 220,000 households alone create more pollution than any other source in the UK. Lies, damn lies an all that!

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...