10 June 2006

Discerning Divination

Matt Stone blogs intriguingly and importantly about the issue of divination. Importantly because it is hot in our culture and also because it is misread by Christians who misidentify 'secular' instances and fail to notice what's going on under the label 'guidance' in Christian cultures. Intriguing because it offers the opportunity for Christians to engage with the popular desire for 'guidance' throught symbolic means. And so he asks:
In what ways should we be critically reassessing our own theology of guidance as we interact with the commodifed spiritualities and new religious movements of post-modernity?


It seems to me that we could do with adding in a further consideration to the ones he offers here. I think it might be to do with how insight is gained in relation to God's purposes. What I mean by that slightly cryptic phrase is perhaps illustrated by tarot cards.

Now if we use them as suggested in Phil J's "Beyond Prediction", as a kind of aid to initial spiritual direction we are probably mostly engaged in a kind of 'coached meditation' using symbols to help someone to think about their own lives, desires, spiritual responses etc. It's a process which could be overshadadowed by the Holy Spirit just as one would hope/pray that 'ordinary' spiritual direction would be. On the other hand, and I fear this is the usual way that they are used, rather than a coached meditation we get a liberal admixture of cold reading passed off as psychic knowledge with the intent to create a sense of awe and even dependence on the 'reader' for financial profit or personal kudos. [And of course there is the possibility of something like a 'python spirit' being entangled in it all].

One of the things that kept me from doing the tarot reading thing as a Christian outreach after reading and being convinced by the book, was precisely the issue of how it would be understood and appropriated by those who wanted readings. My fear was in reinforcing ideas that might be unhealthy and leave them prey to cold readers or worse. I have now come to the tentative conclusion that adopting an explicitly coaching-style framework would work [for me at least] at that level: I would advertise and explain what was to happen in terms of coaching the enquirer/seeker to finding their own insights in a kind of dialogue with the symbols. I would further put it into a gentle praying framework. [In fact I'm reflecting on devising a Lord's prayer spread at the moment]. I think a great service could be done in by implication alerting them to the power and profic games of some other reading practices. The real issue for Christians should be about whether 'divination' leads into bondage or freedom and I think that the kind of ethic that life coaches tend to use professionally is a good guide in that respect.

Eclectic Itchings: Discerning Divination
Filed in: , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andii, as someone who has used the tarot as a communication tool in previous Mind Body Spirit festivals, I acknowledge your concerns and affirm that we at least were always careful to state very explicitly that we were not giving them a reading but that what we were doing was more of a guided exploration of the symbols and the spiritual insights they pointed towards (and this is where the biblical imagery in the cards was drawn out).

We did as a consequence have some walk away at that point if were specifically after a reading but many more became curious and listened on. I agree that the context in which the cards are used is very important if syncretism is to be avoided. I encourage you to explore the coaching style framework and would be interested to hear more as you develop your thoughts further.

Andii said...

Thanks Matt. That's really helpful. I will endeavour to report anything that I can as and when I work and reflect.

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...