28 June 2006

Spirituality and self-: obsession or transformation?

Quite a helpful follow-up reflection by one of the participants in 'The Monastery'. Worth reflecting on.
Spirituality is not about indulging in self-obsessed navel-gazing, but rather self-transformation through engagement with the other, whether understood as neighbour, or ultimately as God. The kingdom is not within but among us. The opportunity that the monks offered us was a chance to see that the religious life (and more broadly the life of faith) far from being an escape from reality, is in actual fact, a deeper engagement with the truly real. To follow a spiritual path is not to take the easy way out and withdraw from the world, but rather to choose a different and in fact far more challenging mode of being in the world. Learning this simple but profound truth has brought me out of myself, quite literally, into a fuller and more dynamic engagement with life. It has given me a sense of the urgent need to respond to what really matters. To get on with it. Now.

The whole article is worth a read. I met the guy when he was on interview at a Theological College I have been known to frequent. I felt that this article seems to be true to the man I met. My prayer goes with you Nick, as you pursue the paths for your next steps to fall upon.
Nick's writings - Sensing the Sacred - Silence:
Filed in: , , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...