18 August 2006

Archbishop of York's fast for peace

I have to say when I heard of this, I thought 'brilliant', 'what a good and positive image to present' and 'probably the only bishop in the CofE who has the imagination, determination and courage to do this; good on him.
the Archbishop of York, Dr Sentamu, is camped out in a purple tent, as part of a week-long vigil of prayer and fasting for peace in the Middle East, and community relations in Britain... He is sleeping rough on the floor in his one-man tent before the altar, as an act of solidarity with those forced to take refuge in churches, bunkers, and shelters. He has urged people to forgo a meal, and donate the money to charities working in the conflict zone.

I think that it seems to be having a positive effect more broadly,
The imam from the local mosque is here today, with other Muslims. The Archbishop has had many encounters already: a diabetic who had exchanged beer for tea and donated the money; a man whose marriage had broken up and who had gone to pieces, but who had seen the Archbishop on television and thought: "He'll do for me." Dr Sentamu says with joy: "God is giving me work."

It reminded me of accounts of how people used to seek out the anchorites attached to churches in the medieval period [Dame Julian is a famous exemplar]. The good thing about this is the positive image of a senior cleric being positively spiritual in a way that a lot of spiritual seekers can identify with and commend.
Church Times - York's hermit fasts for peace:
Filed in: , , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...