31 August 2006

New icon? Bonfire of the brands

An interesting report on a radical action.
I am going to burn every branded thing in my possession. Gucci shoes, Habitat chairs, even Simple soap. I have reached the point in my life where I can no longer be around these things, no matter how special they make me feel. Yes, it is going to be a terrible waste, yes I'll no doubt feel lost when they're gone, but at this moment in time, it seems the only thing I can do.

Wish he'd consider giving it away to charity, though.
The reflections he writes on branding, upbringing and self-esteem are worth noting for the effects on the soul.
Once I had nagged my parents to the point of buying me the shoes I was duly accepted at school, and I became much happier as a result. As long as my parents continued to buy me the brands, life was more fun. Now, at the age of 31, I still behave according to playground law ... gullible fool that I am, I believed in the promises that these brands made to me; that I would be more attractive, more successful, more happy for buying their stuff. However, the highs of consumerism have been accompanied by a continual, dull ache, growing slowly as the years have gone by; a melancholy that until recently I could not understand. ... for every new extension to my identity that I buy, I lose a piece of myself to the brands.

Doesn't that sound like an echo of 'For those who want to save their lives will lose them ...'?
And I can't help but think that there's a hint towards '... and those who lose their lives ... will save them.' when he writes,
So, this is why I am burning all my stuff. To find real happiness, to find the real me, I must get rid of it all and start again, a brand-free life, if that is indeed possible

BBC NEWS | Magazine | Bonfire of the brands:
Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...