09 September 2006

Better late than never

In the early 80's I worked in a wholefood shop. We used to pack our food into biodegradable plasic bags. I'm really glad that a start is being made to make this more 'normal':
Starting this week, the supermarket [Sainsbury's] will use compostable packaging instead of plastic for almost half of its organic fruit and vegetable products, rising to 80% by January. The scheme will extend to all Sainsbury's ready meals by September 2007. The company's compostable packaging consists of maize, sugar-cane or starch so it can naturally break down in a garden compost heap and need not be binned and sent to a landfill.
I hope it'll spread, I really like the idea of being able to put even more in the composter. Our bin waste will dwindle to virtually zero if the plastic gets compostable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know biodegradable plastic bags were already around in the 80s. It makes me wonder why those bags haven't reached my corner of the world yet. And I know they're just as bad as plastic, but paper bags have never been widespread here as well, since plastic's more commonly used. Seems like we have a lot of catching up to do.

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...