04 October 2006

The Amish -an introduction

Recent tragic events have brought the Amish into public view. I was just saying that if I was an RE teacher now, I'd bethinking seriously about whether I could do a set oflessons on the Amish becausse it could meet a lot of curriculum 'targets' and be topical. And this article would be just the kind of thing to use as a resource. Some of it is really helpful, like this;
they do not have electricity, not because electricity is in itself evil, but because of its impact within the home. They will not have television, not because it is intrinsically heinous but because they do not want their children exposed to sexual and violent images. They travel by buggy to keep the community together and avoid the dissipating social influence of the motor car.

The Amish Community: Another Country:
Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...