26 October 2006

Government may let schools offer GCSE alternative | Schools special reports | EducationGuardian.co.uk

The more I study and train for teaching, the more I am suspicious of the agenda behind statements like this.
IGCSE "... stretches them more. There is less emphasis on coursework, which rewards the very diligent but not those with a high degree of flair."

I'm suspicious because I want to know what 'stretch' means and to whom it applies. My suspicion is further that it is actually a way to let those who's thinking and learning styles best fit the traditional grammar school /public school model do even better in terms of recognised qualifications while pulling resources and appreciation from those who are less traditionally academic. It's a way of preserving the priviledges that money and a middle class upbringing foster.
Government may let schools offer GCSE alternative | Schools special reports | EducationGuardian.co.uk: Filed in: , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...