27 November 2006

Partners helping men retrain as teachers

Well, this was bound to get my attention; after all, at a headline level it applies to me.
Mike Watkins, the director of teacher recruitment at the TDA, said: "Career changers are now fuelling the ranks of teachers as never before, particularly in areas where we have a high need, such as maths and science.
"This research confirms that professional men are re-evaluating what they want from a career after a few years of working life. It's evident that the appeal of office life can wear thin and that men are looking for more than just a high salary - they want to make use of their skills.
"When you consider these factors, it's easy to see why teaching is the top choice for a career change. As well as attractive financial and lifestyle benefits, working with children creates a dynamic, vibrant environment in which no two days are the same."

Now I do have to say that out of just over a hundred training with me, only about a dozen are over 30, I would guess. So while I'm not able to say that I can see huge numbers responding in this way, I do take heart that mere monetary profit is having this kind of effect.
Now as to that "working with children..." bit. Hmm depends on whether you've had certain classes I could name but won't... But then there are the classes that make it true and worthwhile.
Partners helping men retrain as teachers, survey shows | Special Reports | EducationGuardian.co.uk: Filed in: , , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...