14 November 2006

want not waste not

I'm very seriously considering doing this. I already try to take plastic bags with me so that I don't get more. But, as my daughter was saying the other day, do they really need to put things in plastic, then cardboard, then more plastic ...
Shoppers were urged yesterday to take direct action to force supermarkets to cut the excessive and wasteful packaging that goes direct from the shop shelf to the household bin. The environment minister Ben Bradshaw advised food shoppers to leave excessive wrapping at the tills and to report the stores to trading standards in an attempt to cut the amount of unnecessary plastic sent to landfill sites.

I guess that if supermarkets know that they will have to use staff time on clearing up extra packaging, that may help to concentrate minds, but it will take some concerted consumer action to become a big enough nuisance. But I'm willing to do my bit, how about you?


Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...