11 February 2007

Placebo of learning

As novice teachers we are encouraged to assume that intelligence can grow and to believe that our students can get cleverer. Well here's an indicator that it may not be such a bad idea. From studies into what I see as a kind of placebo effect on intelligence.
students who believed their intelligence could be developed placed a higher premium on learning, believed more in the power of effort, and had more constructive reactions to setbacks in school... "These findings highlight the importance of students' beliefs for their academic progress," said Carol Dweck, one of the researchers and professor of psychology at Stanford University. "They also show how these beliefs can be changed to maximize students' motivation and achievement."
Interesting, as a teenager I realised that my interest and motivation could improve my ability to learn and set about 'playing around with' my interest and motivation, to good result. Nice to see my informal observation-based theory somewhat vindicated!
ScienceDaily: Students Who Believe Intelligence Can Be Developed Perform Better: Filed in: , , , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...