18 February 2007

Shop-less lent

A few years back I made it into the local newspapers because I called for Christians to give up consumerist shopping for Lent. Interesting then, for me, to find that my example has been picked up (doubtless without them knowing of my earlier endeavour) by national Methodism.
METHODISTS are being invited to go for 46 days without shopping for anything but essentials, as part of a Lent initiative being organised by two members of staff at Methodist Chur_ch House. The Rev Michaela Youngson and Anna Drew have decided to purchase only necessary items during the Lent period, in a bid to reject the culture of consumerism.

I feel vindicated! -And emboldened to continue to liturgise in a way that questions and critiques consumerism.
This week's Recorder headlines with opening paragraphs from the stories: Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...