25 March 2007

I am a mirage that perceives itself

Hmmm, here's something to ponder. On the nature of the soul and the self.
One good prototype is the Escher drawing of two hands sketching each other. A more abstract one is the sentence I am lying. Such loops are, I think anyone would agree, strange. They seem paradoxical and even strike some people as dangerous. I argue that such a strange loop, paradoxical or not, is at the core of each human being. It is an abstract pattern that gives each of us an “I,” or, if you don’t mind the term, a soul.

Seems to me, to fit the Damasio ideas about the way that self consciousness arises/ emerges.
Wired 15.03: PLAY: Filed in: , , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...