30 April 2007

ERii reclaims Virginia

Without meaning any disrespect to the dead and traumatised, I couldn't help but think of a certain factoid about American independence when I read this...
Plans are being made for the Queen to meet survivors of the Virginia Tech shootings during an official state visit to the US next week, according to reports last night.
. Why is the British monarch visiting Virginia? Well, I'm told that Virginia never concluded a treaty with Britain at the end of the war of independence and so technically is still claimed, arguably, as a British sovereign territory. So, of course, she wants to comfort her subjects :-p
Queen to meet survivors of Virginia university massacre | higher news | EducationGuardian.co.uk

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...