29 April 2007

You and me, both ...

Scot McKnight has an acquaintance who also finds himself with my dilemma.
I find myself constantly making caveats when I call myself an Evangelical to separate myself from a whole segment of the religious right. I might be an Evangelical in the tradition of John Stott or Mark Noll, but increasingly I feel like they’re in the minority. Maybe I should stop calling myself an Evangelical and just say that I generally have an Evangelical understanding of doctrine, but I don’t subscribe to much of the baggage that comes

Scot's interlocutor ends by saying, "I’m so sick of dealing with the mentality of conservative Christians…." and I know just what he means.
But then, I guess some people experience the same about me ...
It'll be interesting to see Scot's response.
Jesus Creed » Letters to Emerging Christians

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just calling myself an eclectic Christian, acknowledging evangelical influence without identifying with the movement as a whole.

Andii said...

Yeah. I feel that I don't want to give the label up to the narrow and unlistening. I often call myself a catholic evangelical. The apparent oxymoron can at least provoke some conversation ...

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...