07 May 2007

Subculture or way forward?

I'm generally not a fan of Christian subcultural products. So my heart did sink a bit when I saw that there was now a Christian Edition of Ubuntu Linux. But then I thought that if it helps Ubuntu gain greater acceptance, well, why not? Interesting what makes it a Christian edition:
Ubuntu Christian Edition includes the best available Christian software. The latest release contains GnomeSword, a top of the line Bible study program for Linux based on the Sword Project. There are several modules installed with GnomeSword including Bibles, Commentaries, and Dictionaries.
Ubuntu Christian Edition also includes fully integrated web content parental controls powered by Dansguardian. A graphical tool to adjust the parental control settings has also been developed specifically for Ubuntu Christian Edition. These features are truly what sets Ubuntu Christian Edition apart.

I wonder if there will end up being Islamic or Buddhist or Wiccan versions? And if so, what would their distincives be? It would potentially be an interesting exercise in religious priorities and concerns.
Ubuntu Christian Edition: About Ubuntu Christian Edition

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...