04 June 2007

Don't you just love this evolving thing we call English?

I just loved these that I'd not come across before. Looking for opportunities to use them in blogging! "Some words are lovely additions - I'm particularly fond of whataboutery ('the practice of repeatedly blaming the other side'), and silver, which enters as a verb, meaning 'to age'.
Others, meanwhile, just make you despair. Has it really been necessary to cultivate masstige ('the impression of exclusivity in goods that are affordable for many')? Or preneed ('arranged or made available in advance of eventual requirements: preneed funeral arrangements')? Now that's a barbecue-stopper."Aida Edemariam: More new words (most of which we could do without) | News | Guardian Unlimited Books:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...