14 June 2007

Is Your Gospel Robust?

Another heart-lift for me as yet another moderately well-respected theologian (Scot McKnight, here) endorses a set of viewpoints that I put forward about 20 years ago in embryo in my final-year Dip Pastoral Studies dissertation
... the problems with this popular evangelical gospel include:
1. No one in the New Testament really preaches this gospel.
2. This gospel is about one thing: humans gaining access to God’s presence.
3. This gospel creates and individualist Christian life.
4. This gospel sets the tone for the entire evangelical movement.
5. This gospel leads to spiritual formation being entirely about “me and God.”
6. The evangelical gospel has created a need for evangelical monasteries.
7. The evangelical gospels turns the local church into a volunteer society that is unnecessary.
8. The evangelical gospel is rooted in Theism or Deism, but not the Trinity.

And I have to say it's heartening to see him making some recommendations that parallel mine, in another place. Not that my dissertation wasn't flawed, but some of the central concerns, however badly addressed in places, have proved to be of more lasting value for me and for others, it turns out.
"Is Your Gospel Robust? | Out of Ur | Following God's Call in a New World | Conversations hosted by the editors of Leadership journal:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...