24 June 2007

Sony apologise to Manchester Cathedral

I blogged a number of days ago about this and it seems that Sony have begun to do the right thing. An pertinent further consideration is mentioned in this report (which did occur to me at the time of the first report).
When larger organisations like Sony find their copyright has been breached, they are very quick to use the law. When Sony used images of Manchester Cathedral as part of a game which extolled gun violence, it was not only in bad taste: it was also very, very insulting


Sony apologises for Cathedral game

2 comments:

James said...

I realise this is quite an old post to be commenting on now... I'm rather behind on my feeds. Does it really count as an apology if they're still selling the game? When I was growing up up my mum used to tell me that "sorry means 'I won't do it again'". It might not be the most theologically complete definition of repentance, but I'm sure there's something there.

Chances would be pretty slim though, as Resistance: Fall of Man is one of the few PS3 titles that's received any real critical acclaim. And maybe I shouldn't admit it, but if I was to buy one, that would be the game that sold it to me.

Andii said...

You're right James. I was just reading the further developments in the Church Times and had the same feeling that an apology without some kind of action to make amends and to put right is not worth the paper it's printed on. Take your point also on the market forces impinging on the matter.

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...