02 June 2007

Tories and grammar schools

Nothing like this to get my blood boiling "Mr Mellor - 'a grammar school boy, unashamedly so' - said Mr Cameron appeared to have slapped down grammars gratuitously. He added: 'It's a bit foolish for an old Etonian to appear to want to pull up the ladder of opportunity from ordinary folk.'"
Because the evidence is it isn't a proper ladder of opportunity: as someone who was excluded from that ladder by the arbitrariness of quotas and selection procedures, I have to say it's no way to offer opportunity which should be based on individuals' abilities and development not a questionable selection procedure too early in the development and which excludes many able people. I am sad that David Cameron has backed down to the Conservative Party mythology which, I suspect, is actually about entrenching privilege and making sure that a system is in place to cherry pick enough of the 'lower classes' to keep a veneer of respectability over the system while reproducing in them the values of he elite.
Now I've said that I feel a bit better.
Cameron faces elitism claims over grammar schools | Special Reports | Guardian Unlimited Politics:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...