30 July 2007

What does it mean: 'personal relationship with Jesus'?

'cos I'm blowed if I know anymore. That's not a statement of a personal crisis or loss of faith; just that while I once knew what I meant and my evangelical confreres meant when we said that (and the author of the referred to blog entry largely has it right), I have a real sense that not only is the meaning stretched too thin nowadays, but that it may even now be hiding all sorts of evasions of the real business of following Christ. Here's the heart of the difficulty, I think:
What do you do when witnessing to a Mormon or Jehovah’s Witness who also claims to have a personal relationship with Jesus? In the shifting landscape of post-Christendom’s rampant individualism, a “personal relationship with Jesus” can mean many things, too many things I’m afraid.
And I'm not even sure that the component of some kind of experience of God which was certainly what I understood by the phrase is even there now. In any case I'm unsure how far that was a good guide anyhow, since I have had to reflect on the apparent lack of experience of others and at times myself who nevertheless are showing fruit of the Spirit, not to mention the reverse case of experiencers who seemed to go way astray.

And then there's this issue too:
The other problem with the phrase is the way it sounds to men. When I’m witnessing to another guy, it seems weird to ask them if they want to have a relationship with Jesus. It’s not because I’m embarrassed by the concept or by the gospel. It’s because the terminology sounds, well, feminine. How many men want to talk about relationships? That’s why I think it is wise to find other phrases to get across the same message – a life of discipleship, following Christ, serving his kingdom, submitting to his lordship, etc.

Good point, I suspect. Though maybe changing.
Question now is: is there another vocabulary to use?
Rethinking our Vocabulary: “Personal Relationship with Jesus”

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...