22 August 2007

Avaaz.org - The World in Action

I just emailed my trade minister about the fishing crisis. I hope you will, too. In a few weeks, the World Trade Organization will come forward with new rules to govern global fishing --and if enough of us raise our voice, we can help end the unfair and unsustainable fishing system, in which rich countries subsidize corporate fleets to overfish the oceans. It's unfair to fishers in poor countries. And if it keeps going, global fish populations will collapse. (Already, 90% of big fish like tuna and marlin have disappeared.)

Click on the link below to sending a message to the trade minister--and help defend our oceans and our future.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/make_fishing_fair/tf.php?CLICK_TF_TRACK

Thanks!

A few years ago, I was a pisco-vegetarian, on the basis that while meat is an resource expensive way to feed people, fish at that time didn't seem to be such a problem. It's different now. And aside from not being right keen on fish, it seems to me that eating fish is just not a particularly good thing to be doing at the moment: we should be leaving it for those who really need to make a livelihood from the sea. ...
Avaaz.org - The World in Action

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...