06 August 2007

Climate justice now

Like the Rector of our parish, I was very moved by the testimony of a girl from Tajikistan demonstrating that climate change is not a future prospect but was even now making the lives of vulnerable people more precarious. Cloimate chnge is an issue of justice. However, also like Tom Jamieson, I was concerned at the poor turn out for the rally in Newcastle on Saturday. Tom's comment:
where was everybody? St Thomas Church Haymarket was perhaps three quarters full. Six of us from Ryton that I know about which is ok, but this was for the region. Was it poor publicity by Christian Aid? I think they did there bit. Was it failure to pass on publicity by those on the Christian Aid mailing lists? perhaps. Was it a lack of confidence on the part of the public that a Christian agency is up to the task for such as this? I worry that this may be it.

I actually wonder whether the impression that it was an outdoor rally and the fact of it raining at the time was a factor too -perhaps mainly. Nevertheless, Tom's concern has to be a concern if it may be true.
Cut the Carbon March
Filed in:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...