18 August 2007

Islam's version of Jesus on Tele

I thought initially that it might be a good way to learn about the Qur'anic picture of Jesus so I am with my ertwhile congregant "Philip Lewis, the Bishop of Bradford's aide on inter-faith matters", who is reported as urging
believers on both sides to take advantage of a 'worthwhile contribution to understanding a complex issue'.

But I wonder how many readers might be wholly or partly sympathetic to Patrick Sookhdeo's stance (Patrick is an Anglican canon and spokesman for the Barnabas Fund, which works with persecuted Christians and is a convert from Islam), he
accused broadcasters of double standards. ... 'How would the Muslim community respond if ITV made a programme challenging Muhammad as the last prophet?' The Koran's denial of Jesus's divinity was 'unacceptable'. 'On the last day the Koran says Jesus will destroy all the crosses. How can we praise that?'

While he has a point, I think that my rejoinder would be to say that if we would like Muslims to be open to considering religious perspectives not our own, then we should lead by example, perhaps pointing out that the ability to consider others opposing views is a strngth not a weakness. I wonder if Patrick is somethimes still in a Muslim mindset when it comes to such things?
TV airing for Islam's story of Christ | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...