04 September 2007

‘Atheist’ Worship

You know, at times, I know just how this feels: "Sometimes, I feel like an atheist amid worship. The songs being sung earnestly around me are about a god I don’t really believe in anymore. As Shane Claiborne asked, does God really have lightning in his fists, or is this Zeus we’re talking about? “God, rid me of ‘god,’” Meister Eckhart prayed. Many times this is my silent prayer amid circles of saints singing their hearts out to a deity I scarcely recognize."
And sometimes doubly so when someone is trying to lead me from the front into expressions of worship that just jar with where I'm at fairly fundamentally or are culturally miles from me.
THe rest of this post is worth looking at, and although the quality of the video is not all I would want, it is a kind of proof of concept. I would want to underline the idea of writing stuff that's outside of the contemporary praise band repertoire of half-digested biblical imagery with Disney soundtracks. I've occasionally tried to do something about it myself. Here's one attempt that I'm not too unhappy with and have used a few times.
‘Atheist’ Worship � zoecarnate:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...