25 September 2007

Moral panic over tech and sociability

It really is starting to seem to me that all that handwringing about how social software is causing a breakdown in society is actually a moral panic. The following quote shows why there is a lot of nonsense being written and said about it:
"It might look like I'm ignoring a passing acquaintance in order to 'use my phone.' But actually I'm checking in with a new mom who is running home, baby and business on her own while her partner's job has him commuting to Canada temporarily. "
We need to remember the McLuhan doctrine that technology extends existing human capabilities. This means that it may distort some existing cultural thingies, but it will open up others. It will redistribute the balance of goods and ills but rarely, if ever, will it be entirely one or the other.
Rude People, Not Tech, Cause Bad Manners:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...