When I read the headline Aggression As Rewarding As Sex, Food And Drugs: I thought 'yeah; I recognise that there is a kind of buzz to it and it would explain the recreational fighting that I see and hear about in cities'. So while we humans are more peaceable than chimps (who couldn't manage to live in cities of several millions without a bloodbath), we do have to find ways to undermine this pleasure in aggression. Here's a summary of the research.
"“We learned from these experiments that an individual will intentionally seek out an aggressive encounter solely because they experience a rewarding sensation from it,” Kennedy said. “This shows for the first time that aggression, on its own, is motivating, and that the well-known positive reinforcer dopamine plays a critical role.”"
Some bullying is like courtship; it's the foreplay of a violent encounter; that's the payoff, the reward. That's what we have to work at delegitimising.
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
1 comment:
Post a Comment