08 January 2008

The Future of Money: inflation

Some of you may have noticed this book appear in the margin in my current reading 'bit'. (And it may be gone by the time you read it, of course) The Future of Money: Creating New Wealth, Work and a Wiser World. Did you also notice the price? £1,142.55!!!!! I bought it a couple of years back from Amazon (yes; I found the delivery slip inside the front cover when I final got round to reading it) for much less (double figures under £20). But it appears that this is the only copy being offered for sale: so does that account for the price. I'm considering the experiment of offering it for sale to see whether that changes the price -it's such a random figure, as well as being high; is there some kind of market-analysis bot operating to work out what the market might bear? I suspect it needs a service if there is.
It's ironic, given the title, dontcha think? Especially as one of the things that the book does is explain why inflation to some degree is built into the way we do currency at present.

PS I decided I would experiment and offered the book for £500 (I'd get just over £400 of it if it sold at that price -unlikely!), so that may appear in the price now and you'd have to click on to Amazon to see the £1k+ price and whether it changes.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...