15 January 2008

Speech and the demonic

Now I'm still thinking about the substantive content on this post Demythologizing demons: however, this bit did get my attention as something to look at in due course with regard to the Homo Loquens Coram Deo project.
"Matt. 9:32-33 (cf. Luke 11:14):
While they were going out, a man who was demon-possessed and could not talk was brought to Jesus. And when the demon was driven out, the man who had been mute spoke.
The demon prevents this man from speaking—i.e., from communicating with others. Being incapable of dialogue is a distortion of human relationality, and hence a mark of creation’s bondage to sin. Jesus interrupts this bondage by bringing liberation to this man. The act of exorcism is thus the act of restoring this man to a world of right relations."
I'd broadly agree with this and I suspect that I want to link it to the stuff about the image of the communicative God I blogged about recently. But there is something too about language and full humanity; however, we need to be wary on that front to protect the rights and dignities of those with communicative difficulties. There are also connections here, I think, to corporate humanity ...
Just thinking out loud briefly so I can come back to this.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...