02 February 2008

My theology?

Interesting little quiz and regular reader will know I'm a quiz-o-phile. This is a slightly different result than a similar quiz a few months ago.





What's your theological worldview?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan

You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.


Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan


79%

Neo orthodox


75%

Emergent/Postmodern


71%

Roman Catholic


57%

Charismatic/Pentecostal


46%

Fundamentalist


43%

Modern Liberal


39%

Classical Liberal


39%

Reformed Evangelical


36%


However this one is minorly one or two badly-designed questions such as:
There is little or no human element in the Bible, it is a divine book

Maldesigned because it's asking you to agree once to potentially two not-necessarily-co-ordinated statements. E.g. I disagree (strongly) that the Bible has little or no human element but agree that it is a divine book (a position I take to be mainstream evangelical). Also I was puzzled over how to answer
We cannot understand God without looking first at humanity
. "understand" is a big word, and I'm aware of apophatic issues here.... Oh well, that'll be a midpoint answer then.
And I had my doubts about some questions of this type:
Jesus was an excellent moral teacher who's example we should do our best to follow
because while I knew what they were aiming at I'm not sure how I'd interpret the data captured by it. 'Disagree' might actually signal someone who reads/hears that as basically a defining position of certain types of liberal theology. However, taken at mere face-value surely most Christians would agree including many who would disagree if the statement had "no more than" in it (e.g. "Jesus was no more than an excellent moral teacher who's example we should do our best to follow").

1 comment:

cath said...

Amazingly enough, i was 79% "Reformed Evangelical" and 71% "Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan" - but i totally agree with you, these quizzes are really badly designed (repetitive, loosely worded, ambiguous) !

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...