06 February 2008

Metaphysics and the God of Israel -a review

This looks very, very interesting. So much so that I've put it on my wish list for future reading. I'm particularly interested since it seems to offer help -or at least perspective- to the the issue of God's relatedness to time and space which is a major background issue for thinking about God and language. Here's what Ben Myers writes.
Neil MacDonald’s book, Metaphysics and the God of Israel, is a remarkably creative and provocative attempt to rethink this relation – indeed, to rethink metaphysics as a whole – from the standpoint of divine self-determination. MacDonald’s central thesis is simple enough: the mode of all divine action is self-determination. God acts by determining himself to be the one who acts. In other words, God acts by directing his own identity, by acting on his own being. According to MacDonald, all divine action can be understood along these lines. God is creator, for example, simply because he determines himself to be the world’s creator. This determination is strictly something God does to himself.

The question I have -which Ben tangles with to some degree also- is whether this view doesn't end up making creation essentially un-contingent; in other words potentially uncaused. But I like the way that it appears to be able to pull in some of the stronger insights or possibilities that are important in process theologies while maintaining (I think) a largely orthodox theism. Obviously, I'll have to read the book!

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...