23 February 2008

We'll save the planet only if we're forced to

I suspect he is right. 'He' being Johan Hari, writer of this Indy article: Johann Hari: We'll save the planet only if we're forced to - Johann Hari, Commentators - Independent.co.uk. I like the parenthetical comment at the end of the quote, here.
"In reality, dispersed consumer choices are not going to keep the climate this side of a disastrous temperature rise. The only way that can ever happen is by governments legislating to force us all – green and anti-green – to shift towards cleaner behaviour. Just as the government in the Second World War did not ask people to eat less voluntarily, governments today cannot ask us to burn fewer greenhouse gases voluntarily. It is not enough for you to change your bulbs. Everyone has to change their bulbs. It is not enough for you to eat less meat. Everyone has to eat less meat. It is not enough for you to fly less. Everyone has to fly less. (And yes, I hate these facts as much as you do. But I will hate the reality of runaway global warming even more.)"

I'm also interested to note that he makes the case for less meat-eating...

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...