11 April 2008

Romans Disarmed: Overcoming Evil with Good

I've just signed up to go to this: I was well-impressed with Walsh and Keersmaat's take on Colossians bringing newer understandings of the socio-economo-political realities of first century Palestine and Mediterranean to bear on hermeneutical task and merging that with the horizon of post modern concerns so that Paul's writing could actually be commended to the kinds of people I prefer to hang out with (radical-ish world citizens concerned for justice, peace and the integrity of creation). So since I don't have to teach that day I'm going to it. Here's the blurb:
Romans Disarmed: Overcoming Evil with Good - with Brian Walsh and Sylvia Keesmaat: "Some Christians struggle to be faithful in the shadow of empire; others struggle to be faithful at the heart of empire. At the very centre of Rome lived a small community of Christians. What happens when their story of a Saviour, Jesus, who brought forgiveness and peace, met the story of an empire that proclaimed to truly bring justice and peace by means of a new saviour, Caesar? Does that tell us anything about living this story today? Brian Walsh and Sylvia Keesmaat, authors of Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire present a day's teaching of their new material on Romans."
I commend it to you. If you're planning to go, let me know. I've signed up to bring my own lunch (vegetarian, low-fat -never can guarantee catering to cope with that) so maybe if you fancied sharing a lunch with me and the weather's okay, then Brum cathedral is in loverley grounds.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...