25 June 2008

uptalk

My thanks to Cath (uptalk description & references � ninetysix and ten:) for this intro into what is being called uptalk. The article referenced points out that there are vareties of English that use final rising intonation in 'ordinary', declarative sentences (one I hear a lot is in the NE of England, being as I live there!). The development is the occasional use in dialects of English that haven't had HRT before in that kind of sentence. My informal observation concurs with this characterisation of its apparent usage-meaning. "linguists who have analysed HRT have identified its positive discourse functions. It has been shown that HRT serves to track the listener’s comprehension and attention, especially when the speaker is presenting new information. Listeners perceive HRT to be deferential but friendly (Guy & Vonwiller 1984). It also acts as a turn-holding mechanism in narratives (e.g. Warren & Britain 1999).”
So now you know.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...