04 July 2008

Need, greed and the global food crisis

Ekklesia's website has this brief but helpful comment on the global food crisis: Need, greed and the global food crisis | Ekklesia: Given my interest in a spirituality of the Lord's prayer, this doubly got my attention. The opening sentence goes to the heart of the issue that I flag up in the "Praying the Pattern" book (see side bar on this blog). "'The Lord's Prayer highlights that having enough to eat is, and has always been, central to the Christian idea of a world shaped by justice and mercy,' observes Sushant Agrawal, Director of the Church's Auxiliary for Social Action (CASA) in India. 'If God's will was done, no one would go hungry.'" In fact, I would say that we should have a theology of work that is developed in relation to a global perspective on the daily bread petition in the Lord's prayer; if we don't, it is an inadequate theology of work. So the final sentence of this article is also worth pondering: "Nearly 500 years ago, Martin Luther explained "When you ask for your ‘daily bread', you ask for everything that is necessary in order to have and enjoy daily bread and on the contrary, [protection] against everything that interferes with enjoying it". Churches continue to take action to change systems that hinder people from having the food they need to survive."
I hadn't come across the Luther quote before, but I think it is vitally important and links our praying with our acting for justice (such that, in my view, the latter becomes a form of prayer).

1 comment:

christ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...