10 August 2008

Wrekin Spree

I was brought up in Shropshire, which is almost a by-word for deep rurality, a county thought typical of England's rural charm (and indeed it is). However, that obscures its role in industrialisation. I went to sixth-form college in what is now part of Telford; named in part for being the start of Britain's industrial revolution. So perhaps no surprise that it has been the iconic draw for climate change protest: "banners proclaiming Telford as “Birthplace of Industry/Womb of Climate Change” were hung from bridges crossing the motorway at the Ercall and Castle Farm Interchange." (SchNEWS 641 - Wrekin Spree). Makes me think ...

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...