02 September 2008

Bonobos May Have Greater Linguistic Skills Than Previously Thought

I'm still reflecting on the significance of this, but I think that it is important. I suspect over the next year or so, there will be further thoughts from various quarters. See the whole report here: Bonobos May Have Greater Linguistic Skills Than Previously Thought. The guts of the resulsts seem to be these:
After applying conversational analysis tools, Pedersen asserted that language is more than the simple act of transferring information, but a conversational interaction between active participants. Language-competent bonobos use lexigrams, which are made up of arbitrary symbols that represent words, as the basis for conversations with humans. Pedersen said linguistic aspects of the conversation included turn taking, negotiation, pauses and repetition, and went far beyond information sharing made possible through the use of lexigrams symbols.

Preliminary thoughts on my part: it seems to be that if there is the ability to use symbols and to form the idea of exchanging information, then turn-taking strategies are a natural outcome; so I'm not sure about how significant that is. I have a question about how far forward this takes us: it is already known that apes can use symbols if taught them, however it seems that they don't develop or 'get' syntax. So simple symbolising has an intrinsic entail of communication and it would be mere 'mechanics' to develop strategies of turn taking in exchanging symbols. I want to see more evidence about syntax and more complex semantics such as are developed in cultural exchanges. I think.

Incidently, as someone who is comfortable, theologically, with evolution as a mechanism/entail of creation, I don't really have a problem with linguistic abilities in other animals; in fact I would expect it to some degree. It's part of the implication, symbolically and theologically, of creating Adam from the dust of the earth.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...