07 November 2008

Why more young people say cannabis is a drag

A little while back I drew attention to the stats underlying this article: Why more young people say cannabis is a drag | Society | The Guardian and I asked for any clues as to why cannabis use should be shrinking (being picked up by increasing use of Cocaine, though). I wondered verbally (but not on blog, I was surprised to discover) whether it might be linked to smoking and health education. Well, it may be that I was right: "'A lot of young people are strongly anti-cigarette smoking and as society changes the way it views tobacco it seems to be changing attitudes to cannabis as well,' said Paul Griffiths, of the European monitoring centre for drugs and drug abuse.
The trend is evident across Europe, where smoking bans are now widespread. The drug experts say cannabis use has always been more prevalent amongst tobacco smokers than among non-smokers and as it becomes less socially acceptable to smoke a cigarette in public so it has become more difficult to find a place to smoke a joint."

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...