07 December 2008

Mamma Mia! My, my, how can I resist you?

Oh dear. Here was I; happily anticipating going to a Mama Mia! sing-a-long on Tuesday night, and then I read this articleMamma Mia! My, my, how can I resist you? Quite easily | Comment is free | The Observer: and my dilemma might be summed up in this quotation from it: "Mamma Mia! is not so much a film, nor, as its distributors describe it, a 'feel-good cinema event', nor even a global phenomenon the like of which has never been seen, as a key signifier of gender.". You see, dear reader; it seems that I may be almost alone of my gender in loving the film. Apparently, if I go along to the sing-a-long; I may be commiting gender treason.

Well, all I can say is 'am I bovvered?' I liked it, I like singing, I'm a child of the Abba era; this is the soundtrack of my youth; it's moving for me. That said: will I feel like the proverbial pork pie at a kosher wedding? I now have trepidations I didn't have before!

2 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

A propos of nothing, this blog has been givern a "superior scribbler" award: Notes from underground: Superior scribbler? Who? Me?

Andii said...

Thanks Steve, I hope to make my link in the chain in the next week or so ... end of term to navigate first!

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...