20 February 2009

Church Army -or whatever: C of E's SJ?

There has been much soul searching in the Church Army over the last decade or so. I think that this could actually prove to be the definitely right thing for the kairos. I've thought for a while that the CofE needs its own version of the Jesuits: I think that maybe this could be it. The CT reports it here: Church Times - Tidying up the Church Army And the new head of the CA says: "The Church Army needs a new identity for the 21st century, although that’s easier said than done. I don’t think the militaristic image is always helpful. In some respects it is, because it talks about a bunch of people with an objective to defeat something, and, without question, I want to see us defeat poverty, injustice, and homelessness. But we’re not a church, and we’re not an army; we’re not a church in an army, and we’re not an army in a church.". Interestingly, the parallel with the SJ's is perhaps more apt than might appear at first sight: read Inaki of Loyola and you'll find his army background informs his choice of metaphor for the Christian life quite extensively ... I speak as a believer in nonviolence.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...