18 April 2009

Obama Outlines Plan for High-Speed Rail

After I visited the states the last time and travelled from Washington DC into the heart of Virginia by train, I felt that there was money to be made in the USA having a faster rail network. 50MPH top speed is a joke for a national passenger rail system. No wonder flying is a national pastime there! I think I blogged about it. The positive side of that, though was that it was a comfortable journey: there was lots of leg room and the drinks car was a real social centre it seemed. Anyway, it seems the president has been seeing sense: Obama Outlines Plan for High-Speed Rail | Autopia from Wired.com: "Obama outlined a strategy that focuses on 10 rail corridors that slice through regional population centers across the United States. Each state would compete for a chunk of the $8 billion in stimulus money that will be distributed to rail projects in the next two years. Another $1 billion will follow over the next five years. Funds will be awarded according to each states' plan to develop and improve the rail corridors."

I note that one of the rail corridors is pretty much one of those that I rode on back then. I think I mentioned it in a blog post.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...