03 June 2009

Counting votes and making them countt

This is a rip-roaring article on STV-PR from the experience of many years of using it. I particularly found this paragraph resonant having lived in a number of areas where the kind of invidious choice mentioned has indeed been my experience.My vote will really count this week: but then I'm lucky enough to have PR | Politics | The Observer: "Unlike voters in marginal constituencies in Britain, I won't have been given the unpalatable choice of either supporting my least-worst candidate or in effect wasting my vote. Unlike many people in Britain, who can spend their entire lives without ever casting a vote that actually helps to elect someone, I can vote for someone who represents my own minority views, knowing that if she or he doesn't get elected, my vote will be transferred to my second choice, and so on down the line. If the election is really tight, my choice between the ineffectual eejit who got my ninth preference and the obnoxious git who got my tenth could be decisive. PR gives me a Duracell-bunny vote, one that keeps on working long after the first-past-the-post model has given up the ghost."
And then, joy of joys, a point I have often made but until now not seen in print from any other keyboard:
According to Blunkett, however, PR encourages political parties to "horse-trade" and "engage in dodgy stitch-ups". Which is fair enough: British voters presumably feel that horse-trading and dodgy stitch-ups are alien to the Westminster system and that Britain is currently blessed with a government of incomparable strength and ineffable decisiveness. To an outsider, though, it looks rather as if what happens is that the factional deals and carve-ups simply happen within the governing party.

The difference with PR is not that deals don't get done by politicians after elections, but that they're negotiated relatively openly. Each party comes to the table with its manifesto commitments and a number of parliamentary seats that is close to its actual share of the vote. Is there horse-trading and compromise? Are there outcomes that voters didn't quite expect? Sure - just as there are in a first-past-the-post system. The implication that, in the Westminster system, voters control what happens after the election is laughable. Remind me - how many people voted for Gordon Brown as prime minister?

Read the whole thing for further helpful reflections on allegations of relative stability of governments. And given the current British concern for accountability of MPs, this supposed downside of the Irish system seemed quite refreshing: "Sometimes, though, politicians end up competing against members of their own party, leading to an emphasis on constituency work over parliamentary business"; would that many constituencies here had that problem: politicians 'fighting' to serve the people that elected them. That actually sounds like a strong argument in favour of the Irish system or -come to think of it- perhaps the Scottish.

4 comments:

James said...

My problem with PR is that I fundamentally don't like political parties, and i don't want to support any system that strengthens their power. I want to vote for an individual who I trust to represent my local community, not the fluctuating platform of some nebulous power-cloud.

STV would be great though. Preferably with an option for None of the Above, or Reopen Nominations included on the ballot as well.

Andii said...

I hear what you mean, I think, wrt parties which is one of the less satisfactory things about EU elections (though arguably the low profile of EU stuff makes party list a reasonably way forward, at least pro tem).

STV in multirep constituencies is probably the best way to go. I'd rather the AV plus that the Jenkins' Commission came up with was ousted in favour of the STV system or a system like in Scotland.

James said...

I don't know enough about voting systems to give an educated preference for a specific one, only the little that I learned from running student union elections. Reading about it in more depth has been on my to do list for years, but never quite made it to the top.

I find multirep constituencies in themselves fairly problematic, as it makes pinponting a given representative's mandate quite hard. That's a less thought-through opinion than the previous one though.

Andii said...

A multi-rep constituency should be no harder to pinpoint mandate. All those elected are responsible to their electors as at present. It's just three (say) instead of one. What it does give you is more choice of who to go to for constituency matters; in some cases a relief since I've had some very short shrift from incumbent MPs in the past simply because I wasn't of their political persuasion.

Perhaps I've missed what your concern might be?

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...