13 July 2009

The art of citation

Thanks to Ben Myers, an interesting little post on citation: Faith and Theology: The art of citation: "‘citations in my work are like armed thieves who emerge suddenly and rob leisurely strollers of their convictions.’ He thus uses citations strategically; they are part of the guerilla warfare he wages against the preconceived notions of his reader…. To cite without quotation marks is to offer the idea without the imprimatur of an author or authority. This requires of the idea that it stand or fall on its own merits and not find automatic support from its lineage."
This has got me thinking for a couple of reasons, one is discussions over the last two years with our external markers about, inter alia, the way that students use quotes sometimes to 'hide behind' and so we don't hear their own evaluations and voice in the text, the other is that I'm trying to do some writing and discovering that I'm writing a lot on some topics from the heart with the result that by comparison with stuff I mark and read, it can seem light on citation. Both of these things along with this little reflection are emboldening me to just write and perhaps look at citing later and in a subdued sort of way.
But still thinking (and that's without going onto the practically fraught question of what citation method we should go for at college as standarad!).

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...